Re: updating on views

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: XiaojingLi <iamlxj(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: updating on views
Date: 2002-11-27 06:50:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> Well, it depends. SQL updatable views are fairly limited from what I
> remember and the general write your own update rules is much broader, so I
> doubt anyone got terribly excited by doing the limited version. It would
> take some work to define what sort of view queries are acceptable for what
> sort of updates and then make the appropriate rules (imagine queries with

SQL99 says that all columns in the view definition (ie, the SQL query
which defines the view) must also be updateable. This, of course,
requires some checking. We could do this here. I think, however, that it
would be much cleaner to implement this correctly through the planner and
executor instead of hacking it through the rewriter. Of course, that means
lots of code.

Insertable-into and updateable views are certainly a very important
feature which Postgres is lacking. Maybe we should implement this the easy
way first and then, to increase performance, correctly -- at some later
point.

Gavin