Superuser Reserved Backend Slots - TODO item

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Superuser Reserved Backend Slots - TODO item
Date: 2002-08-27 22:38:20
Lists: pgsql-patches

This patch reserves the last superuser_reserved_connections slots for
connections by the superuser only.

This patch replaces the last patch I sent a couple of days ago.

It closes a connection that has not been authorised by a superuser if it would
leave less than the GUC variable ReservedBackends
(superuser_reserved_connections in postgres.conf) backend process slots free
in the SISeg. This differs to the first patch which only reserved the last
ReservedBackends slots in the procState array. This has made the free slot
test more expensive due to the use of a lock.

After thinking about a comment on the first patch I've also made it a fatal
error if the number of reserved slots is not less than the maximum number of
connections.

Passes 'make check' and behaves as expected in my manual tests.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---