Re: Bug #706: Wrong shlib flag for GCC compilation on Solaris

From: Richard Cook x261 <rcook(at)insightful(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #706: Wrong shlib flag for GCC compilation on Solaris
Date: 2002-07-10 17:18:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruce,

My apologies. The file I worked with was from the postgresql-7.1.3.tar.gz.
I had started out with the latest (7.2.1) tar, but after various failures
rolled back to the 7.1.3 source, since I found evidence on the net that
somebody had succeeded in building that on Solaris. I lost track of that
change in source over the holiday weekend. It looks like 7.2.1 has it
right.

Even so, I have not yet fully succeeded in building with the 7.2.1 source.
Using GCC, I got a running postgres, but failed to get pgaccess to work. I
think that may be due to a corrupt libssl.so, but have not gone back to
verify this. Using Sun tools, the compilation succeeded, but I got a
WriteControlFile failure (File exists) when running "make check", which I
never could diagnose.

So now I have a fully working 7.1.3 build, and I am tempted to leave well
enough alone. Are the changes in 7.2.1 worth yet another build attempt?

Richard

P.S. Thanks for your reply. I have your book right next to me.