Re: Can't get pg_hba.conf to work

From: Doug Silver <dsilver(at)urchin(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't get pg_hba.conf to work
Date: 2002-06-27 00:07:30
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Doug Silver <dsilver(at)urchin(dot)com> writes:
> > And no matter what I put in the pg_hba.conf file, I get the following:
> > parse_hba: invalid syntax in pg_hba.conf file at line 253, token
> > "localhost"
> > FATAL 1:  Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for
> > details
> In 7.2 you must SIGHUP the postmaster to get it to take notice of
> changes in its config files --- the thing is still complaining about
> an error in whatever the file contained when you started it.
> "pg_ctl reload" is a convenient script for sending SIGHUP to the
> postmaster.
> 			regards, tom lane

Thanks Tom -- That was indeed the problem.

Didn't know about the SIGHUP aspect of postgres.  Hmmm, RTFM? ;-)

I've since added the reload to the contributed startup script so I
remember it the next time.  Nothing more than these four lines:

	su -l $PGUSER -c "$DAEMON reload"
	echo 'Reloading (SIGHUP) Postgresql'

Doug Silver
Network Manager