Re: Performance problem, what to do?

From: Archibald Zimonyi <archie(at)netg(dot)se>
To: postgres sql list <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance problem, what to do?
Date: 2001-12-18 15:50:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Archibald Zimonyi <archie(at)netg(dot)se> writes:
> > On demand, I'll post the database structure as well as the SQL query which
> > creates the slow respons. I'll add them as attachments (do they come at
> > all?).
>
> You're forcing the join order by using explicit JOIN syntax.
> Rearranging the join order might yield a better plan.  See
> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/postgres/explicit-joins.html

I know I am, but if you look at the plan (which I will again add as an
attachment) you see that the plan looks pretty good, in fact way better
then the original plan did.

I don't know how much time each "unit" takes, but a normal select (SELECT
* FROM <table>), which might yield a plan of 0..22.2 "units", takes no
time at all. This plan is at most up at 200, which I don't think is costly
considering what it does.

Archie