Re: ever growing pkey files

From: matthew(dot)copeland(at)honeywell(dot)com
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSqlAdmin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ever growing pkey files
Date: 2001-08-15 14:04:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Well, I reindexed on 7.0.3, and that worked. I also upgraded, and that
worked with my code also, so ignore the not working comment.

Thanks for the help,

Matthew M. Copeland

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 matthew(dot)copeland(at)honeywell(dot)com wrote:

> > Yeah, VACUUM doesn't shrink indexes presently (it's on the TODO
> > list...).
> >
> > > PostgreSQL version 7.0.3 running under Linux.
> >
> > You could try REINDEX to rebuild the indexes, but I'd recommend updating
> > to 7.1.2 (or soon, 7.1.3) first. I don't recall whether REINDEX is
> > available/trustworthy in 7.0.
> >
> > A grottier solution is to DROP and re-CREATE the indexes.
>
> I can do that on a primary key? I didn't realize that. I tried switching
> to PostgreSQL 7.1 when it first came out, but it now handles ansynchronous
> notification differently to the point where my old code doesn't work
> anymore. It mentioned something at the time about not having the feature
> implemented or it being wrong or something. (when 7.1 first campe out, so
> I don't quite remember.) Anyhow, I have to have that feature. Do you
> know whether it is working again in the current 7.1.3? I will take a look
> at it and see if I can get it working though.
>
> Thanks for all the help,
>
> Matthew M. Copeland

You may be sure that when a man begins to call himself a "realist," he
is preparing to do something he is secretly ashamed of doing.
-- Sydney Harris