Re: exploring data

From: harrold(at)sage(dot)che(dot)pitt(dot)edu
To: Willie Northway <willn(at)diamondbullet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: exploring data
Date: 2001-06-27 18:28:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

--
john

Sometime in June Willie Northway assaulted keyboard and produced...

|Hello, I'm a mysql user who's trying to learn postgres. How would I
|explore which databases or tables are available for use?
|
|If I were using mysql, I would try something like this:
|
|mysql> show databases;
|mysql> use test;

normally when postgres is started you tell it the database.

so it looks something like
psql dbname

then to show the tables
dbname=# \d
will list all the tables, sequences, etc in a "more" fashion

then to get info about a table just type

dbname=# \d table

this will give you a list of the columns and datatypes.

i dont know how to list the available databaes.

i hope this helps.

|mysql> show tables;
|
|How would I accomplish something like this in postgres?

|- Willie

|----