Re: Re: PL/Python build

From: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: Mark Hollomon <mhh(at)mindspring(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: PL/Python build
Date: 2001-05-10 18:29:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Mark Hollomon wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 May 2001 19:02, Joel Burton wrote:
> >
> > One of the small problems of pl/python is going to similar to pl/perl...
> > many linux distro's don't come with a shared object library for python,
> > but come w/a static library only.
> >
> > pl/python will work w/a static library (if you uncomment the lines in the
> > makefile to link all the modules against it directly); we can add a line
> > to the faq about where packages, if any, are for python.so.
>
> Be careful. That will only work if the static library contains relocatable
> code so that the entire resulting library 'plpython.so' can be loaded
> dynamically. From what I can tell, this is true on Linux, but not on say HPUX.
> _That_ was the sticky point with pl/perl.

Erm, well, I probably should confess that I know nothing whatsoever about
HPUX; I'm a pretty bright boy, but mostly limited to Linux and
FreeBSD. So, please, take most of my comments with that important grain.

Mark -- Would it be possible to use a static python.a to create plpython,
w/o trying to link it to the modules that author includes (hashing, etc),
to create a core-python-only plpython?

Thanks,
--
Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>