Re: initdb problem

From: Tulassay Zsolt <zsolt(at)tek(dot)bke(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb problem
Date: 2001-04-14 15:52:24
Lists: pgsql-ports

Jason Tishler wrote:
> Note that with cygipc 1.09 and later (thanks to Fred), ipc-daemon can
> be installed as an NT service. Once ipc-daemon is installed as such,
> it is automatically started when NT is booted. Since I always install
> ipc-daemon as a service, I have little motivation to track down this
> hang. However, I hope not to discourage anyone else from finding the
> cause of the hang and fixing it.

Well, ipc-daemon does not work for me as an NT service. (on Win2K)
It looks as if it started up fine, but instead it just silently eats up
memory and CPU power. However it seems to start correctly when using the
'classic' way.

But my problem is with initdb failing to start. it says:
zsolt(at)ZSOLT:~ $ initdb
bash: /usr/bin/initdb: No such file or directory
zsolt(at)ZSOLT:~ $

I wondered if this happens because I don't have all the cygwin packages
installed, but only a few of them.

And when I tried to connect with psql to a PG6.5 database running on a
linux box, and it seemed to work, but I could not get the tables listing,
and none of the SELECT queries returned any rows:

zsolt=# \d
zsolt=# \d logtable
ERROR: No such function 'format_type' with the specified attributes
zsolt=# select * from logtable;
zsolt=#

Now what causes THAT?
(I have used PG on linux for a long time, but this is the first time
I tried to run it on NT / Win2K)

TIA,
Zsolt Tulassay