Re: Encryption.

From: Grant <grant(at)conprojan(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Peter Galbavy <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowledge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encryption.
Date: 2001-04-10 23:22:13
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Perhaps the first question you should be asking and answering is who/what
> are you trying to protect your data from ? Are you try to stop unauthorised
> people seeing it ? Changing it ? Adding to it ? What ?
>
> Once you do that, the solution tends to direct itself.

I just want to encrypt the database to stop others looking at it as it
will probably be hosted in an environment that I don't have full control
over. Though, if it is encrypted, the scripts to decrypt it will also be
on the same system to display information from the database to the
webpage, so I guess there's no point unless I output all the encrypted
data through a compiled binary file that will decrypt it, but that's just
a pain and requires a bit of overhead. Oh well screw that idea.