Re: Feature Request: ALTER FUNCTION (or something like that)

From: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Request: ALTER FUNCTION (or something like that)
Date: 2001-03-28 15:52:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Actually,
> >
> > This reminds me of something I have been meaning to ask.  All the new
> > performance features are cool, but what I really need are all the ALTER
> > TABLE ... functions implemented.  In 7.0.x you could only add columns and
> > foreign keys.  You couldn't drop anything or add stuff like CHECK
> > constraints.  Has this situation changed for 7.1?
> >

> Not done in 7.1.  I hope for 7.2.

If you're curious, Christopher, on the TODO list is a whole page on the
DROP COLUMN bit. There's been some headscratching about how we want to
DROP COLUMNs (whether to hide them but keep them there, which may be
easier to undo, and probably easier to develop, and doesn't require any
time to process), or whether to actually recreate w/o the offending
column.

IIRC, you can change whether a field can be NULL or not by twiddling a
field in pg_class.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>