Re: 7.1beta4 bug creating a certain table

From: Kovacs Zoltan <kovacsz(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, ltibor(at)mail(dot)tiszanet(dot)hu
Subject: Re: 7.1beta4 bug creating a certain table
Date: 2001-01-30 16:55:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Kovacs Zoltan <kovacsz(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu> writes:
> > CREATE TABLE pakolas_cikktetel (
> > pakolas int4 not null,
> > cikk int4 not null,
> > minoseg int4 not null,
> > sorszam int4 check (sorszam > 0),
> > helyrol int4,
> > helyre int4,
> > mennyi numeric(14,4) not null ,
> > lezarva bool default 'f',
> > primary key (pakolas, cikk, minoseg, sorszam),
> > unique (pakolas, cikk, minoseg, helyrol, helyre));
>
> > CREATE TABLE keszlet_bevetel (
> > keszletnovekedes int4 not null primary key,
> > pakolas int4 not null,
> > cikk int4 not null,
> > minoseg int4 NOT NULL,
> > foreign key (pakolas, cikk, minoseg)
> > references pakolas_cikktetel(pakolas, cikk, minoseg));
>
> > ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for referenced table
> > "pakolas_cikktetel" not found
>
> It appears to me that this is correct, since there is no constraint
> on the first column that says that those three columns form a unique
> key *by themselves*. I believe there were bugs in the code that checked
> for this error before ...
>
> regards, tom lane

I don't know the exact SQL definition whether my declaration is correct or
not. But, checking our model, we realized that our implementation is not
correct. So I should rewrite these definitions. Thanks! :-)

But, if this declaration is not correct in the sense of SQL standards, I
can imagine that PostgreSQL may allow such declarations. (A NOTICE may be
given instead of an ERROR.) Or, are there any drawbacks of allowing this?

Zoltan
--
Kov\'acs, Zolt\'an
kovacsz(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu
http://www.math.u-szeged.hu/~kovzol
ftp://pc10.radnoti-szeged.sulinet.hu/home/kovacsz