Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-29 06:34:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> It seems to me that the main reason for the problem is the need to
> cater for non-root installs.  I would really like to know what

PostgreSQL will _not_ run as root. Just try... :)

morannon:~>/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster

"root" execution of the PostgreSQL backend is not permitted.

The backend must be started under its own userid to prevent
a possible system security compromise. See the INSTALL file for
more information on how to properly start the postmaster.

morannon:~>

> proportion of total PostgreSQL installs they now are.  We are

100%

> Are there still people who can only install PostgreSQL as a private
> application?

Private application - or non-root application?

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli