Re: ODBC - Invalid protocol character

From: Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC - Invalid protocol character
Date: 2001-01-03 20:00:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:
> Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com> writes:
> > When using the odbc driver from Access in Win9x we sometimes receive the
> > error message "An invalid protocol character was received from the
> > backend". While this could mean that someone passed gas, I don't think
> > so. Anyone see this before?
>
> That suggests that the frontend and backend got out of sync. There used
> to be some bugs that could cause that, but I thought we'd fixed 'em all.
> What Postgres version are you running?
>
> If you're on 7.0 or later, I'd definitely like to see a reproducible
> test case...

I'm on PG 7.0.2 and using the ODBC driver I grabbed from the "main ODBC
site" back in July. I've got lots of (maybe too many ;) backups of our
development. I'll see what I can come up with.

--
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Michael Davis wrote:

> Does this query work in psql? Can we see the psqlodbc_????.log file
> from your C: drive?

Again, this happened a while ago. I'm sure the query would have worked
from psql.. there's nothing strange about it. I have to enable logging in
the PG ODBC driver to get a psqlodbc_????.log, right? Will this log
errors like this one?

-Cedar