Re: Transactions

From: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
To: Karla Peralta <karlaper(at)elrosado(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transactions
Date: 2000-12-21 23:43:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > > When I use the Begin and Commit in the program I get these :
> > >
> > > Notice: Begin: Already a transaction in progress
> > >
> > > Notice: Commit: no transaction in progress
> > >
> > > If I delete these options it works ok, but I want to manage the
> > > transactions.
> > >
> > > What can I do ???
> >
> > Karla --
> >
> > Are you trying this in psql, or through another inferface (perl, ODBC,
> > etc.)

> I have a program in Clipper, the compiler is FlagShip, and I access the
> database postgresql with SQLkit_pg (a tool of FlagShip). My OS is RedHat
> 6.2

I haven't used Clipper in a few years, and that was a DOS-only experience,
but, as a general sense, I'd suspect that Clipper (or SQLkit_pg) is
setting you up in AutoCommit mode (or whatever their version of this
term is). That is, they'll try to wrap each command of yours in its own
Begin/Commit command.

(With Perl's standard database software, DBI, it can make this assumption
as well, but you can set AutoCommit to off to handle your own
transactions.)

Unless you get some specific help here, you might want to pose the
question to newsgroups for your development environment about how to turn
off this feature, if this is in fact what it is.

Good luck!
--
Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>