Re: System application reference pages

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: System application reference pages
Date: 2000-11-12 10:33:56
Lists: pgsql-docs
Tom Lane writes:

> One could make an argument that pg_dump, pg_dumpall, pg_restore, and
> vacuumdb do too, though it'd be a weaker argument.  Also createuser,
> dropuser, perhaps createlang/droplang.  All of these require superuser
> privs to be more than marginally useful, so they strike me as primarily
> admin tools not user tools.

If we did that, then it would only be logical to also move the associated
SQL commands, which might open a can of worms since one might also argue
for CREATE TYPE, CREATE FUNCTION, etc. in the programmer's guide, and at
the end we'll have them all over the place.

Perhaps it's time to revive the Reference Manual (reference.sgml) as an
extra, parallel document with only the reference pages.

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/