Re: the docs, and newbies.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the docs, and newbies.
Date: 2000-11-04 21:48:57
Lists: pgsql-docs
Lamar Owen writes:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if we should call this the PostgreSQL "special" users, rather
> > than super?
>
> Hmmm... How about 'the PostgreSQL database administrative user' -- and
> spell out just exactly what this user is supposed to be?

Maybe like

   As with any other server daemon that is connected to the world at
   large, it is advisable to run Postgres under a separate user
   account. This user account should only own the data itself that is
   being managed by the server, and should not be shared with other
   daemons. (Thus, using the user <quote>nobody</quote> is a bad
   idea.) It is not advisable to install the executables as owned by
   this user account because that runs the risk of user-defined
   functions gone astray or any other exploits compromising the
   executable programs.

Oh wait, we already have that.

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/