Re: the docs, and newbies.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the docs, and newbies.
Date: 2000-11-04 21:48:57
Lists: pgsql-docs

Lamar Owen writes:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if we should call this the PostgreSQL "special" users, rather
> > than super?
>
> Hmmm... How about 'the PostgreSQL database administrative user' -- and
> spell out just exactly what this user is supposed to be?

Maybe like

As with any other server daemon that is connected to the world at
large, it is advisable to run Postgres under a separate user
account. This user account should only own the data itself that is
being managed by the server, and should not be shared with other
daemons. (Thus, using the user <quote>nobody</quote> is a bad
idea.) It is not advisable to install the executables as owned by
this user account because that runs the risk of user-defined
functions gone astray or any other exploits compromising the
executable programs.

Oh wait, we already have that.