RPM install weirdness & BugreportPage Bug

From: Thomas Linden <tom(at)daemon(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RPM install weirdness & BugreportPage Bug
Date: 2000-11-01 22:56:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Today I tried to install postgresql 7.0.2 from RedHat-6.x rpm
packages. These are the relevant rpm's I found:

But unfortunately I am unable to get it installed, here the log:

seven-of-nine:/home/tom # rpm -Uvh postgresql-server-7.0.2-2.i386.rpm
failed dependencies:
        postgresql = 7.0.2 is needed by postgresql-server-7.0.2-2 is needed by postgresql-server-7.0.2-2
> comment: ok, need to install postgresql-7.0.2-2 first:

seven-of-nine:/home/tom # rpm -Uvh postgresql-7.0.2-2.i386.rpm
failed dependencies:
        postgresql-clients is needed by postgresql-data-6.3.2-10
        postgresql-clients is needed by postgresql-devel-6.3.2-10
> comment: oops, I forgot to download something? But there is no
> package called postgresql-clients* as rpm (so far I can see).
> but perhaps it is not really an own package, perhaps it is included
> in the devel package? so it tried this:

seven-of-nine:/home/tom # rpm -Uvh postgresql-devel-7.0.2-2.i386.rpm
failed dependencies:
        postgresql = 7.0.2 is needed by postgresql-devel-7.0.2-2

After the last message I went back to your ftp server (in fact, it was a
mirror) and looked for that postgresql-clients* and postgresql-data*
thingies. But it wasn't there :-(

I suggest a little bit more investigation and testing before publishing
rpm packages, a rpm package must be installable unless it cannot find a
required package. if this is the case, then this package must be
available. Any other behavior is just a joke. Sorry about that, just my

Another interesting thing has happened to me while I tried to use the
bugreport webpage to inform somebody about the rpm-problem mentioned
above. So I first searched in your faqs for rpm-problems, but there wasn't
any, so next I tried to search the bug-database (I really don't want to
report a well known issue), I simply searched for "rpm" and got the
following response:

Warning: PostgreSQL query failed: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near
"" in /home/projects/pgsql/ftp/www/html/bugs/bugs.php on line 347
couldn't get bug id

so, I hope someone is reading this email and (much better) maybe get back
to me with some helpful hints.

kind regards, Thomas

- --
=> PGP key:
=> "Experience is what you got  when
=>  you did not get what you wanted."
Version: GnuPG v1.0.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: pgsql-bugsDate: 2000-11-02 01:40:45
Subject: Backend touches index not involved in update / NULL indexing
Previous:From: Vasileiadis SpyrosDate: 2000-11-01 11:38:54