Re: Timezone discrepancies

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Ed Loehr <eloehr(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>, pghackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timezone discrepancies
Date: 2000-09-21 12:59:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart writes:

> > ERROR: Bad timestamp external representation '1-1-2000 00:00:00 DST'
> > ERROR: Bad timestamp external representation '1-1-2000 00:00:00 ZP4'
> > ERROR: Bad timestamp external representation '1-1-2000 00:00:00 ZP5'
> > ERROR: Bad timestamp external representation '1-1-2000 00:00:00 ZP6'
>
> DST - this is a docs error. DNT is the correct form for "Dansk Normal
> Tid", and "DST" is a "Daylight Savings Time" qualifier for other time
> zones. Will fix.

Another comment: I just peeked and, to be blunt, the time zone database
looks like a mess. For example, there's CET (central european time), but
not CEST (central european summer time). Instead there's CETDST, which
I've never heard used. Then there's MEST, MET, METDST, MEWT, MEZ, all of
which are supposed to be "Middle Europe" variations, none of which I've
ever heard of. (MEZ and MESZ are the German translations of CET and CEST,
but as listed they claim to be English terms.) Also I've never heard of
"Dansk Normal Tid" (DNT) or "Swedish Summer Time" (SST), both of these
places use Central European Time.

There are several other obscure candidates where I don't have direct
geographic knowledge, such as "Moluccas Time" (MT, I though that would be
Mountain Time), or "Seychelles Time" (SET).

Probably sometime in the near future a discussion and some research ought
to take place to sort out this list.