Re: Small SSL-related patch...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Small SSL-related patch...
Date: 2000-09-16 19:03:56
Lists: pgsql-patches
(I thought I sent this before but my email has been shaky lately.) IMHO,
it is not the task of the `--with-<package>' options to account for
unusual installation paths on the build machine. We have --with-includes
and --with-libraries for that, and we already rejected various other
attempts to add more spellings of that. Now this patch doesn't actually
add any options but it still opens a can of worms. Normal installation
procedures (including that of OpenSSL!) install into PREFIX/lib and
PREFIX/include, and I don't think that adding various other subsidary
algorithms of finding the required files, in locations that are not
sanctioned by the package in question, is going to do a lot of good.

--
Peter Eisentraut      peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net       http://yi.org/peter-e/