Re: [HACKERS] RE: pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc1 (DatabaseMetaData.java)

From: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Bruce Momjian - CVS <momjian(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RE: pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc1 (DatabaseMetaData.java)
Date: 2000-09-13 01:17:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > As if my JDBC patch hasn't already caused enough grief, there is now a
> > > one-line change necessary. Due to the Mark Holloman "New Relkind for
> > > Views" patch, my support for views in the driver will need to be updated
> > > to match. The change to DatabaseMetaData.getTableTypes[][] is as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > - {"VIEW", "(relkind='r' and relhasrules='t' and relname !~
> > > '^pg_' and relname !~ '^xinv')"},
> > > + {"VIEW", "(relkind='v' and relname !~ '^pg_' and relname
> > > !~ '^xinv')"},
> > >

> > Current jdbc driver seems to be able to get no VIEW information
> > from any RELEASE version of backends.
> >
> > Hmm,it seems that client app/libs don't mind backward incompatibility.
> > Don't I have to bother about backward incomatibility which would be
> > caused by my change ?
> > If so,I would commit my change about ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN.
>
> So the issue is how to make the 7.1 jdbc driver handle views from >=7.1
> databases, and <7.1 databases. Good question.

In the past, I've tried to keep compatibility within x.y.z releases (where
z is the only changing value), but not when x or y change.

ie, 6.4.x drivers would be compatible with each other but not with
6.2.x. Same with 7.0.x and 6.5.x

So if 7.1 has this change, then it shouldn't have to be compatible with
7.0.x (going from past history).

Peter (getting lost in a maze of patches)...

;-)