Re: Reformat docs for duplex printing

From: John McKown <jmckown(at)prodigy(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Reformat docs for duplex printing
Date: 2000-08-12 03:02:25
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > I've downloaded the PostgreSQL documentation from sourceforge...
>
> Not sure what they have grabbed, but we'll assume that it is a recent
> version? Perhaps you can fill us in on what is there since we are not a
> sourceforge-based project.

sourceforge was listed somewhere as a mirror, so I went there. I usually
get good download speeds from their server.

> > ... (is) formatted for a letter printer in simplex (single sided) mode.
>
> Yes. I suggest reading the docs (the html version ;), looking in the
> appendix which discusses the doc building procedure.

Thanks, I'll see if I can understand the doc building procedure.

> I have the hardcopy in ApplixWare for final formatting, and presumably
> could talk Applix into coughing up double-sided stuff. Do you have that
> tool? If so I could send you the intermediate .aw files.

I do have ApplixWare. However, ever since I upgraded my glibc, it simply
does a segfault. So I can't use it anymore. I'll probably be sticking with
OpenSource software to the best that I can any more!

> > Oh, I have downloaded the PostgreSQL source and see a bunch of "htm" files
> > in the /doc subdirectory, but I can't figure out how to create the
> > Postscript output from these (if, indeed, I can).
>
> Nope. Docs start in DocBook sgml, not html.
>
>                     - Thomas

Thanks a lot for the pointers. I'll sure give it a try. I sure wish that
some book company would do a professional printing on them. Even with my
nice new laser, I prefer professional printing. They last longer. Oh well,
there probably wouldn't be enough profit in it for them.

John McKown