Re: New Privilege model purposal

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New Privilege model purposal
Date: 2000-08-04 22:01:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck writes:

>     Anyway, it's good to hear you're  still  on  it.  What's  the
>     estimated time you think it'll be ready to get patched in?

Next release. I would hope we can get the current stuff into beta in a
month or so, whereas this project would break open a lot of things.

>     The thing users actually complain about is the requirement of
>     UPDATE permissions to REFERENCE a table. This could be  fixed
>     with  making  RI  triggers setuid functions for 7.1 and check
>     that  the  user  at  least  has  SELECT  permission  on   the
>     referenced table during constraint creation.  This would also
>     remove the actual DOS problem, that a user  could  potentiall
>     create  a  referencing  table  and  not giving anyone who can
>     update the referenced one update permissions on it too.
>
>     I think it's worth doing it now, and  couple  it  later  with
>     your general access control things.

True. I had already looked into this, it's not fundamentally difficult,
but there's a lot of code that will need to be touched.

If you want to go for it, be my guest; I agree that it is fairly
orthogonal to the rest of the privilege system. I'll put it on my priority
list if no one's taking it.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala