Re: pg_dump and ANSI types (TODO item)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and ANSI types (TODO item)
Date: 2000-08-04 21:59:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Philip Warner writes:

> Just looking at the TODO list for other pg_dump related items, and saw:
>
>     add pg_dump option to dump type names as standard ANSI types
>
> Tow questions:
>
> Do we already have a function to represent PG types as ANSI standard types?

format_type(pg_type.oid, pg_attribute.atttypmod)

> How should types that are not in the standard be represented?

Whatever format_type gives you.

I wrote format_type for exactly this purpose a few weeks ago, but I
figured I let you get the glory for making pg_dump use it. :-) psql uses
it as well.

Note: IMO it should not be an *option* to use format_type, it should
always be used. It's nice for encapsulation on the programming side and
there's no reason for using any other type names.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala