Re: Shared library search paths

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared library search paths
Date: 2000-07-19 22:46:01
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-ports
Oliver Elphick writes:

> As far as Debian is concerned, use of rpath is a bug.  Here's a quote from
> some Debian system documentation:
>
>   libtool automatically inserts `-rpath' settings when compiling your
>   program.

I don't think so.

> But `-rpath' can cause big problems if the referenced
>   libraries get updated. Therefore, no Debian package should use the
>   `-rpath' option.

I'm not sure I buy that. All -rpath does is add a directory to the search
path that the program consults at runtime for its shared libraries. So
it's just an alternative in place of

hard-coded into dynamic linker
/etc/ld.so.conf
LD_LIBRARY_PATH

but it's the terminally accurate alternative.

What does happen if the referenced library gets updated? Nothing. -rpath
doesn't reference any libraries, it just suggests to the runtime linker
where it might look for one. I don't want to use it to find system
libraries, I just want psql to find libpq, and the right libpq, and I want
to relieve installers from having to fiddle around with these settings.

>   libtool also refuses to link shared libraries against other shared
>   libraries.

I don't think so.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala