Re: Platform-specific "FAQs" are waaaaaay outdated

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Platform-specific "FAQs" are waaaaaay outdated
Date: 2000-07-17 22:29:58
Lists: pgsql-docs

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Yikes, that is very old. Man, who is maintaining these.

The way I see it, at some point in the past some people have sorted out
and documented most or all of the problems for certain platforms in these
documents. Most of the problems were subsequently fixed, but no one
bothered to update the FAQs because

a) They didn't know about these documents.

b) The documents named a "maintainer", so others were afraid of interfering.

c) The "maintainer" was no longer around.

> I am not sure if we should just clean them up to remove the old stuff,
> or merge them into the docs.

It is my point of view that merging them into the docs is a much better
way to proceed, because it fixes a), b), and c). It also makes the docs
themselves better because there's no good reason for separating out some
documentation just because it's different on some platforms, causing users
to look elsewhere. This is especially inconvenient if you are reading the
HTML version in a browser or reading the hardcopy.

The existence of a separate FAQ indicates that the information in there is
not official to some extent. That doesn't shed a good light on things.

Unless someone objects firmly I am at least going to clean out the ones
that have not been updated since 1998, and I'll make a section in the
Administrator's Guide on managing shared memory and other resources based
on platform.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala