Re: can not guess host type

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Frederic De Leersnijder <Frederic(dot)De(dot)Leersnijder(at)pandora(dot)be>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: can not guess host type
Date: 2000-07-08 00:10:05
Lists: pgsql-ports
Frederic De Leersnijder writes:

> Hi, I've installed postgres on my machine before but now I get
> checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host
> type; you must specify one A very odd situation. What options can I
> use with configure to compile postgres on my redhat 6.2 machine?

Try ./configure --host='i686-pc-linux' ... (other options), or whatever
your processor is.

There's a long-standing problem with config.guess that it doesn't
recognize certain Linux platforms when the compiler is installed in a
strange way. (Did you change anything in your compiler installation?)
Please go to and download the latest version
of config.guess and config.sub to see if they recognize your platform.
(Just run config.guess from the shell.)

If not, send a problem report to config-patches(at)gnu(dot)org(dot)

Let us know.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala            Sweden