Re: zlib for pg_dump

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: zlib for pg_dump
Date: 2000-07-05 16:36:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> > I think we need a --with-zlib switch for the new pg_dump. Or at least a
> > --without-zlib switch, if you think that it's widespread enough.
>
> Seems reasonable to me to look for libz automatically in the library
> search path. A --with switch would only serve as an addition to the
> LIBS directory list, and as I commented in another connection I see no
> good reason for adding a bunch of variant spellings of --with-libs ...

As I might have commented before, I'm not so excited about adding and
dropping features without explicit user interaction. zlib is probably
widespread enough to assume it by default, but then the build must fail if
the library is not installed, and the user must indicate his consent by
using the --without-zlib flag. We have to be able to determine the set of
features that will be build by examining the configure command line, not
by scanning the configure output, or worse yet, by finding out that the
program doesn't behave as expected.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala