From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: is kind of a pain
Date: 2000-06-21 22:49:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Just a notice:

I tried really hard but as we know it can't work together
with a fancy autoconf build system. We already know of the install-sh
relative path problem. The next problem is that the automatic makefile
remaking rules (see bottom of top can't be put into, so it really fails to do its job that is "include common
stuff". What's worse, by including another makefile, each makefile would
really have to worry about remaking as well. So as it is
it's doing really little good. There are also several other more technical
problems regarding relative paths and build vs source paths getting out of
order, etc.

So I thought I'd do the next best thing and apply the features that
Autoconf bestowed upon us: output file concatenation. Instead of each
Makefile including, each makefile is pasted together with
a global makefile of sorts when it's created by config.status. That would
look like this in

(For various reasons a "top" global and a "bottom" global work best.) This
approach seems to solve all of the mentioned problems.

If you have no idea what I just meant, good. :) I'm currently plowing
through the bin/ subtree, then you'll see. If you did, also good, feel
free to comment.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala            Sweden

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Randall ParkerDate: 2000-06-21 22:52:56