Re: Date or Documentation bug?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Mitterwald, Holger" <mittehlg(at)coi(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Date or Documentation bug?
Date: 2000-06-17 13:02:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Mitterwald, Holger writes:

> I am not shure if I discovered a Date or a Documentation bug.... The
> Manpage says if postgres is started with the option "-e" it uses
> european date-style in the format "dd-mm-yyyy". But this only takes
> effekt if I select datestyle=Postgres instead of the default "ISO".
> With Datestyle=ISO it is always "yyyy-mm-dd", no matter if I choose US
> or European style. With this behavior the postgres option "-e" does
> rather make any sense to me.

The documentation is kind of unclear at that point. The
European/NonEuropean option (-e) controls

1) Whether the month is before the day or vice versa in the 'SQL' and
'Postgres' styles.

2) How ambiguous date input (e.g., 01/02/99) is to be interpreted
regarding month before day.

It does not affect the output of the ISO format, since the ISO format is
fixed.

> P.S.: Is there a way to change the Datestyle to Postgres without a
> SQL-Statement, e.g. ENV-Variable or config-file?

PGDATESTYLE environment variable. Config file I'm working on.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala