Re: [HACKERS] INSTALL/install.sgml file

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] INSTALL/install.sgml file
Date: 2000-06-08 17:02:49
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > Just the other day I griped about the fact that the installation
> > instructions are in fact a chapter of the administrator's guide, which
> > breaks the internal and external organization and the flow of information
> > of both the installation instructions and the administrator's guide.
>
> Can we refer people to that section for more information?

We can refer people, but how? Do you write "please read more about this in
the Administrator's Guide"? Then somebody who's reading the installation
instructions as part of the administrator's guide will think "Well, duh,
thanks a lot". Or you make a proper DocBook hyperlink which comes out
something like "read more about this in `Backing up and Restoring'". Then
somebody who reads the flat text file will say "Gee, and where exactly is
that?". Schizophrenia Bad.

IMHO, there's really a line between:
* Installation Guide: how to get from sources to binaries (roughly)
* Administration Guide: how to get from binaries to running system
* Users (and other) Guide: how to make use of the running system

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala