Re: \dS and \df <pattern> crashing psql

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Nishad PRAKASH <prakashn(at)uci(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \dS and \df <pattern> crashing psql
Date: 2000-05-25 23:52:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Nishad PRAKASH writes:

> In psql, when connected to template1 as the postgres superuser, the
> \df function complains about some memory allocation problem.

The \d series of psql commands are really just shortcuts for various SQL
queries to the system catalogs. Start psql with the -E option to see them.
Therefore it is unlikely that this behaviour is entirely localized at
these functions. Have you run the regression tests without problems?

> can=# \dS

Can you show the server output. There's probably a segmentation fault or
failed assertion in the backend involved, which we'd need to see.

> !# \d
> You are currently not connected to a database.
> !# \c can
> No Postgres username specified in startup packet.
> Segmentation fault

That's certainly a psql problem. Can you show a backtrace from gdb?

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala