Re: Re: [HACKERS] SESSION_USER

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [HACKERS] SESSION_USER
Date: 2000-04-15 18:53:01
Lists: pgsql-docs
Tom Lane writes:

> Looking at the spec, we do seem to be missing SYSTEM_USER out of the
> four variants the spec mentions.  However, considering that we map
> them all to the same thing anyway, I can't get too excited about it.

SYSTEM_USER is the operating system user that connected to the database
system. This is obviously not generally applicable in the environment
PostgreSQL runs in, nor is there a universal and reliable way to get this
information, so I suggest we don't bother about it. Mapping it to
[CURRENT_]USER would certainly be wrong.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala