Re: Open documentation items for 7.0

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open documentation items for 7.0
Date: 2000-04-09 18:34:09
Lists: pgsql-docs
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > Updated user interfaces on initdb, initlocation, pg_dump, ipcclean (Peter E)
>
> initlocation and pg_dump man pages still need to be updated; not sure
> about ipcclean.

initlocation is up to date, I don't see what could be missing. The only
change to ipcclean was that it now works on Linux, which it never did
before.

> > New C-routines to implement a BIT and BIT VARYING type in /contrib
> >         (Adriaan Joubert)
>
> Not documented.  New for 7.0.

I don't think there's a lot to document as it doesn't work at all. See
also separate rant.

> > Make ISO date style (2000-02-16 09:33) the default (Thomas)
>
> Updated set man page.  Not sure where else this goes.

datatype.sgml, but that's already up to speed.

> > Add NATIONAL CHAR [ VARYING ]

Not here:

peter=# create table t2 (x national character(10));
CREATE
peter=# \d t2
           Table "t2"
 Attribute |   Type   | Modifier
 x         | char(10) |

peter=# insert into t2 values (n'fooz');
ERROR:  Unable to locate type name 'n' in catalog

Hmm, I can add parsing support for non-existing datatypes by the dozen!
:-/ Openly admitting "I can't do this" is always better than silently
doing something else.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala