Re: Docs refreshed

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Docs refreshed
Date: 2000-04-02 21:18:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart writes:

> Just as you, I assume that people using html read the integrated doc.

Btw., the fact that the print docs are in US Letter format makes them
slightly beyond useless for the rest of the world. :( I still think that a
200 page document is not any less unwieldy than a 600 page one. There's
gotta be an option to only print pages x through y either way.

Considering that this is pretty much what's holding up releases, would it
be possible to consider not putting the postscript docs in the
distribution and just put them on the ftp server at your convenience (and
in A4 as well) for those who choose to get it? Not to break your heart or
something but thinking practically ... :)

Also don't put them in the CVS tree. They're just wasting space since
they're out of date and not really useful for developers.

In the same spirit I'd suggest not including the html tars in the CVS tree
either. In the distribution I would like to have them *untarred* so users
can browse them before/without installing. But for that they can be
generated when making the distribution (make -C doc postgres.html, not too
hard but we'd need to use a separate build dir), no need to keep out of
date copies in CVS.

What do other people think? It seems to me that many people just read the
stuff on postgresql.org.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala