Re: [SQL] Strange error message with 7.0beta1

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Kyle Bateman <kyle(at)actarg(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Strange error message with 7.0beta1
Date: 2000-03-04 17:05:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

Kyle Bateman writes:

> When trying to load my data from a 6.5 pg_dump, I got the error message:
>
> psql:/tmp/ati-tmp.sql:87: ERROR: Tuple is too big: size 8164, max size
> 8140

> CREATE TABLE "exp_log" (

> CREATE TABLE "whold_log" (

> CREATE TABLE "payroll_log" (

> CREATE RULE "_RETpayroll_log" AS
> ON SELECT TO "payroll_log"
> DO INSTEAD
> SELECT "e"."expnum",
[ a lot ]
> FROM "exp_log" "e", "whold_log" "w"
> WHERE ("e"."etype" = 'p'::"varchar")
> AND ("e"."expnum" = "w"."expnum");
>
> As the SQL was generated by a previous copy of PostgreSQL, I figured it
> might be a problem with the 7.0beta1.

Due to some internal changes the rule descriptor (so to speak) has
expanded in its size so now it doesn't fit within a tuple anymore. There
were some changes done in this area just the other day, so you might want
to get a later beta and try it out. (I think they make these every night.)

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala