Re: [INTERFACES] pg_pwd problem, 2nd try

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pg_pwd problem, 2nd try
Date: 2000-02-23 01:29:57
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On 2000-02-22, Tom Lane mentioned:

> "Ken J. Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com> writes:
> > If I use the ALTER USER sql statement, the file pg_pwd gets written in an
> > older plain text format & the user can no longer authenticate. However,
> > using pg_passwd from the command line reates a file similar to /etc/passwd
> > including the username and an encrypted password. Known problem?

Uh, you should not use pg_passwd to change pg_pwd. It should only be used
to create auxilliary password files for pg_hba.conf lines like
.... passwd my_separate_password_file

> Peter changed the backend's idea about the format of pg_pwd, but

Not really. Only the unused fields are filled in with dummies.

> I guess he forgot about pg_passwd ...

Unrelated. See above.

> I wonder whether we even need pg_passwd in its present form anymore.
> Maybe it should just issue an ALTER USER command?

Nope.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala