Re: [HACKERS] Column ADDing issues

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Column ADDing issues
Date: 2000-01-27 17:41:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 2000-01-26, Oliver Elphick mentioned:

> As far as inheritance goes, all the descendants are treated as one table,
> including those created on a different branch from test2.  All of them
> have to return the right columns for a single query; the two options for
> dealing with this seem to be logical column numbering, or rewriting the
> descendant tables.  (But I haven't spent enough time in the code to be
> sure of that.)

Logical column ordering seems like a rather clean solution. The system
could also make educated decisions such as storing fixed size attributes
before variables sized ones. Kind of like a Cluster within the table.

I still think that fixing this in pg_dump might be the path of least
resistance, but we've got until autumn(?) to figure it out.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala