Re: [GENERAL] about speed

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Vovk G(dot) Grigoriy" <vovk(at)sled(dot)rpa(dot)ryazan(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] about speed
Date: 1999-11-27 01:06:53
Lists: pgsql-general
On 1999-11-25, Vovk G. Grigoriy mentioned:

> Can any tell my, what will fastly -  "SELECT ..." statement  or function
> doing "SELECT..."?

I am not sure, but it would seem that a function doing SELECT will do just
that: call SELECT. The only difference you would have is the function call
overhead. I'm not sure though to what extent the SQL in the function is
preparsed, but in general I never have seen this mentioned as a
performance-tuning measure.

> I do query whith storage procedure in MS SQL, and what about postgresql?

We have user-defined functions, which cover some areas of stored
procedures, but not others. For example, functions can not return a set of
tuples. There are "stored procedure" threads all the time on these mailing
lists -- you are encouraged to look through them for the detailed answers.
Also, some of those things are being worked on for 7.0.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala