libpq linking problem

From: Emil Malmberg <emil(at)iconmedialab(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: libpq linking problem
Date: 1999-12-13 08:59:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi!

I'm considering using postgreSQL via the libpq interface with an
application I'm developing in C. I tried compiling one of the example
programs (the first one) from the libpq documentation. I received the
following error:

% gcc test.c -lpq
/usr/lib/libpq.so: undefined reference to 'crypt'

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I'm on a Redhat Linux
2.2.5-15 system, with the following installations:
gcc: egcs 2.91.66
ld: 2.9.1
postgreSQL: 6.4.2-3

Thanks for your help.