Re: [GENERAL] user authentication failed (#210)

From: Michael Plump <plumpy(at)skylab(dot)org>
To: Carsten Huettl <CHUETTL(at)ahorn(dot)sgh(dot)uunet(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] user authentication failed (#210)
Date: 1999-10-24 00:01:45
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Carsten Huettl wrote:

> Data Source: PostgreSQL
> Database: Mydb
> Server:
> Port: 54332
> Name: postgres
> Password: postgres      #this is postgres' fbsd password
>                                    #not pgsql password
> What is wrong here.

First of all, you want the postgresql password, NOT the freebsd password
for the 'postgres' user.

Second of all, giving a shell account the same password as it's username
is dumb, dumb, dumb.  Especially since someone could portscan you, see you
have postgresql running, and then guess the postgres account.

Michael Allen Plump | Snorks + Kr0n = yip yip yip! | plumpy(at)skylab(dot)org
"Salsa jazz music reminds me of the time my grandpa ate his left ear."
                                                          --Joe Dietz