Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC: BigDecimal and Money confusion

From: Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Mark Lillywhite <mark(at)plasticsoftware(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC: BigDecimal and Money confusion
Date: 1999-09-19 10:30:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Mark Lillywhite wrote:

[snip]

> (c) is anyone interested in
> the patch, which I am happy to contribute? I would also patch the JDBC2
> driver and I intend to look for an exception message bug that seems to want
> more java.text.format parameters than there are available.

The first thing is to get the current driver. The 6.5.2 driver has a lot
of the bugs in 6.5 and 6.5.1 fixed, including the java.text.format
problems.

Also, the easiest way to send patches is direct to me. I can then make
sure they don't break the new stuff for 6.6, and can get them in faster.

Also, it ensures that the precompiled drivers I have on my site are kept
up to date.

> Anyway, I know I have jumped in with both feet here but we are very happy and
> impressed with Postgresql and I look forward to being able to contribute, if
> possible. I have quite a few questions about postgresql in general but I will
> wait until I am not such a newbie any more. So, apologies if I have done the
> wrong thing here.
>
> (As an aside, I found the PGMoney class but it too only accepts doubles. I
> could use doubleValue() on the BigDecimal but I am worried about the loss of
> precision given my past experience. So my position is that I reckon I should
> be able to use arbitrary precision up until the database interprets it).

It shouldn't be difficult to add BigDecimal support.

Peter

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk