Re: [HACKERS] Patches for Postgresql on Linux/Alpha!

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Patches for Postgresql on Linux/Alpha!
Date: 1999-07-31 02:21:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> OK, after a *real* quick once-over, it certainly seems that 99% of the
> bulk is changes for the fmgr interface problem (although it looks like
> int32s were changed to Datum also? Is that really needed on Alpha?)
>
> I see a few hacks on time_t that I am worried about; those will almost
> certainly cause problems for other architectures if not ifdef'd.

I have hardly looked at the patch in detail at all, so I can't
respond to your specific observation at this time. I just wanted something
that made at least alpha work out the door first, and then go back and
review the patch in detail to add #ifdef (__alpha__) as needed.

> As I commented before, I would like to think about a different solution
> to the fmgr problem for 6.6, so I'd like to hold off committing any of
> these fmgr changes into the current tree until we have a consensus on
> what the best approach is. But we could commit them into the 6.5 branch
> after sufficient testing. That would be nice for PPC folks as well, as
> I'll bet these changes would let them run with more than -O0 ...

I never asked for these patches to be put in the pgsql source tree
in anyway. This is just so people who want to run 6.5.1 on Linux/Alpha
will be able to, with a relatively clean and well working binary. The
patches for the pgsql source tree will be trickling in over the next few
months as I evaluate the alpha patches in detail.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu |
| http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/ |