Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date: 1999-07-30 16:38:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu> writes:
>
> > Ok, I have already started hacking up 6.5.1. It will take a little
> > while to run the regression tests and then I want to run a few pgsql
> > applications of mine through it as well to pound on it further. If I can't
> > break it, then I will release a patch soon. :)
> > Are there any other "alpha hacks" that I missed? TTYL.
>
> You should be working from a CVS pull of the REL6_5_PATCHES branch,
> not from the 6.5.1 distribution tarball --- I've committed several
> fixes into that branch since 6.5.1, and I think other people have too.
> (If that *is* what you're doing, then nevermind...)

Actually, I am working with the 6.5.1 tarball, for the simple
reason that I want a set of patches I can post on the debian-alpha mailing
list, along with the instructions to grab the 6.5.1 tarball from
ftp.postgresql.org, apply patches, configure, compile, install, and they
are set to go (No need to do a CVS pull, etc). Once this set of patches is
done and out, then I will do a cvs pull of the REL6_5_PATCHES branch and
make modifcations to my patch as needed so when 6.5.2 is released at some
later date, there is a minimal amount of work on my part to release new
alpha patches for that release.
That at least they easiest way I can see to do things for the near
term. For each 6.5.x release made, I make a set of patches that can be
applied to the release tar-ball, to make it alpha friendly. Then, only
when 6.6 comes along, will the alpha patches be intergrated into the main
tree, and the extra, "after-release-alpha-patches" will no longer be
needed. A little bit of extra work, but it has only taken me less than 2.5
hours this morning to backport the alpha patches from the most recent
snapshot to 6.5.1 tarball, so not a big deal.
Anyway, patches will be appearing shortly.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu |
| http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/ |