Re: [ANNOUNCE] Postgres Success Stories

From: Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Thomas Good <tomg(at)nrnet(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff MacDonald <info(at)pgsql(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-announce(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Postgres Success Stories
Date: 1999-06-10 19:42:58
Lists: pgsql-announce
Tom,
  This is perfect, in fact it's what I'm looking for, thanks

  jeff.

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Thomas Good wrote:

> > From: Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)hub(dot)org>
> > To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
> > Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Postgres Success Stories
> >
> > Greetings All,
> >
> >  	Do you use PostgreSQL ?
> >  	Do you love it ?
> >  	Do you want the world to know ?
>
> Jeff - will this suffice?  If it is too terse I can flesh it out abit.  ;-)
> Social Workers are notoriously verbose...thank God for the text data type!
>

>         North Richmond Community Mental Health Center
>         ---------------------------------------------
>
> is the Department of Psychiatry at the Sisters of Charity Medical Center,
> located in Staten Island, New York.  We are a large department spanning
> two campuses (St. Vincent's Campus, formerly St. Vincent's Medical Center
> - and - Bayley Seton Campus - Formerly Bayley Seton Hospital.)
>
> We provide a full continuum of care for the mentally ill and chemically
> addicted persons of Staten Island.  This includes emergency psychiatry
> (our Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program [ CPEP ]), inpatient
> psychiatry for adults and adolescents, outpatient services, residential
> services (housing for our clients with full case management services as
> well as vocational opportunities and training), ambulatory services
> (`day program' services), chemical and alcohol detoxification services,
> alcohol and addiction ambulatory programs, a mobile crisis unit and
> numerous other services all available to the people of Staten Island.
>
> The department of Residential Services currently has a PROGRESS database
> which provides clinical charting capabilities and administrative
> functionality.  This database is being ported to PostgreSQL.  We expect
> to go live 01 July 1999.
>
> The Psych Research dept had a FoxPro database that tracked every patient
> ever served at our facility - this was online 1986 - 1999.
> In the past year we have migrated the FoxPro database to PostgreSQL 6.3.2.
> It has been online for 9 months and has been very reliable.
>
> Deployment followed a 6 month process of evaluating other vendors.  Sybase,
> Oracle, mSQL and mySQL were all evaluated as was Empress.  The conclusion
> reached was that Oracle was the best commercial database available and
> that PostgreSQL was clearly the finest open source database on the market.
> In comparison shopping I was the primary person testing both Oracle and
> Postgres and found that Postgres compared favourably to Oracle.  The
> psql interface is very similar to SQL*Plus in functionality and Postgres
> offers a comparable number of built in functions.  Although Oracle possesses
> some nice features not available in Postgres (for example the nvl() function)
> we opted to go with Postgres for three reasons.
>
> 1)  Compliance with ANSI standards:  Oracle seems to lag way behind here.
> 2)  Tech support offered by the Postgres mailing lists is superior to
>     any tech support I've encountered, contracted or otherwise.
> [...]

Jeff MacDonald           // Hub.org Networking Services // PostgreSQL INC
jeff(at)hub(dot)org            // sales(at)hub(dot)org               // sales(at)pgsql(dot)com
http://hub.org/~jeff   // http://hub.org              // http://pgsql.com