Re: [INTERFACES] where did that date and time come from??

From: Screech <screech(at)screech(dot)org>
To: JT Kirkpatrick <jt-kirkpatrick(at)mpsllc(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-admin(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)hub(dot)org>, "'pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] where did that date and time come from??
Date: 1999-04-20 00:07:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, JT Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Whoa baby, I lied through my teeth! Inserting DID NOT work fine when done
> in psql on the server itself - it also returned the april 14 date and time
> as default. So I tested around a bit. I redefined a new test table using
> default now() and guess what - it works!!!!! But the documentation says
> that I can define fields as default 'now'. doesn't seem to work right as
> far as I can tell, but defining them as default now() does. . .

I'm just guessing here, but I think I saw somewhere in the Postgres dox
that said if something weren't declared correctly, that it would be
interpreted as a constant and not a function call. If my memory serves
me, this would mean that SQL was actually parsed as default 'apr 14,
10am.' Could be wrong. I've done a lot of reading recently, and, for all
I know, that could be an Oracle quirk. :P

Caveat emptor...

--
Jason Lee | for all my labors and best laid plans I'd only earned
www.screech.org | a reprimand, forevermore to understand that dreams come