Re: JDBC prob. Continued

From: Michael Stephenson <mstephenson(at)tirin(dot)openworld(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: tony <tony(at)uickarate(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC prob. Continued
Date: 2000-11-16 17:37:32
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, tony wrote:

> I'm using 7.0.
> Greg told me that SQLException is thrown by
> getConnection();
> so I've changed by getConnection to
> DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql:database_name", "postgres",
> "password");
> and the error changed to something like this:
> SQLException: Connection refused. Check that th ehostname and port is
> correct, and
> tha thte postmaster is runing with the -i flag, which enables TCP/IP
> networking.
>
> Any ideas??

From reading the error message I'd suggest, either you have the hostname
and port incorrect, correct use is:

DriverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:postgresql://[host]:[port]/[db_name]",
"[username]", "[password]");

Or you're not running postmaster with the -i flag, I use:

postmaster -i -p [port] -D [data directory]

If it's neither of those, then I'm sorry for being patronising.

Hope this helps,

Michael Stephenson