Re: changing data type

From: <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: "D(dot) Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com>
Cc: Chris <csmith(at)squiz(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: changing data type
Date: 2000-10-19 15:04:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, D. Duccini wrote:

> can't do it (in 6.x)
>
> the best you can do is
>
> alter table rename column1 to oldcolumn1
>
> alter table add column1 attr type;
>
> then insert into it from the old one
>
> alternately, dump the data out, and reload into your new table

Haven't you people read the online docs? There's an entire chapter
(chapter 5 in the 'postgres' document), devoted to type conversion, not to
mention a listing of type conversion functions (among others) in chapter 4
of that same document.

I hate answering inquires with just RTFM, but in this case, RTFM! :-)

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net
She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong.
-- Mae West