Re: Postgresql usage clip.

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Ron Chmara <ron(at)Opus1(dot)COM>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>, Erich <hh(at)cyberpass(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql usage clip.
Date: 2000-05-30 03:41:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:

> > Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95?
> 98? > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.
>
> For home use/development, run either Linux or FreeBSD in another partition on
> your Win9x machine. Or, even use one of the 'WinLinux' style distributions
> that cooexist with Windows very well. You'll (and PostgreSQL will) be much
> happier with a unix-like environment (which Cygwin duplicates anyway for the
> Win32 PostgreSQL server) for running the PostgreSQL server. Get VMWare and run
> Win9x in a window on your Linux partition to test Win9x apps if you must run
> Win9x.
>
> Or, port Cygwin to Win9x so that PostgreSQL can run on Win9x.

CygWin does run on Windows 9x, doesn't it? Or at least it used to!

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net
Hello. Jim Rockford's machine, this is Larry Doheny's machine. Will you
please have your master call my master at his convenience? Thank you.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
-- "The Rockford Files"