Re: [GENERAL] scheduling table design

From: <kaiq(at)realtyideas(dot)com>
To: davidb(at)vectormath(dot)com
Cc: Barnes <aardvark(at)ibm(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] scheduling table design
Date: 2000-02-24 16:51:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 davidb(at)vectormath(dot)com wrote:

> Hello Mr. Barnes,
>
> I don't know of a nice solution to the problem of scheduling events that may
> occur indeterminately far into the future. The way I have solved this
why you need that? cycling scheduling? -- that is my "issue" also. For
cycling scheduling, I have to set a limit. I'm considering a subroutine to
automatically batch-extend the limit. And, the third step is add a
subroutine to kind of sense the need to extend the limit Dynamically (not
only batch-extend) -- that is much more difficult, and I do not really
plan to do that ;-)
> problem before is to have a table of available items. In this case the
> available items would be something like:
> 1 9:00 Dr. Jones
> 2 9:30 Dr. Jones
> 3 10:00 Dr. Jones
> .
> .
> .
> 17 9:00 Dr. Smith
> 18 9:30 Dr. Smith
> 19 10:00 Dr. Smith
> etc.
> This serves as the control table.
nice.

> One problem with this solution is that your client will have to settle on a
> minimum granularity for appointment times. That is, does he have
> appointments every half hour, or every fifteen minutes?
it is a good idea. but why it is really necessary?